Denny and Dunipace in the Forth Valley in the past relied on the River Carron for much of its power, which was utilised for the many mills up and down the river on its way to the Forth at Grangemouth. Paper mills, like the Anchor, Vale and Carrongrove known throughout the world have gone. Foundries like Cruikshank’s where many people in this area worked have now had new housing built upon the land, and the coal mines that were scattered around the Denny and Dunipace area have all gone.


New industry came to the Denny area in the garment making trade, but possibly the biggest employer today in Denny is in the re-cycling industry.

At one time there was a busy railway station which opened in 1850 on the Caledonian railway branch line from Larbert, but that too has gone, closing to passengers in the 1930’s although it was still used as a freight line until the 1960’s. The Stationmaster’s House remains in a somewhat dilapidated state. The mechanical signals coming from the Glasgow garden festival of 1988 are now situated in the children’s play park behind the site of the railway station.

The Town Hall in Glasgow Road was the site of the first public demonstration of Television in Scotland which took place in Denny in February 1934, according to Mr P Samwell of the Radio Gramophone Department. The hall was used for a variety of entertainments and events but the hall was burnt down in May 1937.

The Cinema Deluxe was built on the site, later to become a Bingo hall which in turn was burnt down in 2010

The Town House in Glasgow Road was once the Denny and Dunipace Burgh Chambers but now accommodates offices of Falkirk Council, where a stained glass window depicting the Burgh Coat of Arms can be seen.

Broad Street today has buildings dating back to the 1880s although the fountain at the cross has been removed. 

The first Denny High School was in Duke Street which incorporated the Primary School, this building burnt down in 1987, a new High Scool was built on the site of 
the Glowrorum nine-hole golf course. The latest High School is situated at Herbertshire Fields.

In the 1960’s Glasgow Overspill Housing in conjunction with the Burgh Housing Officials proposed to build housing for people from the Glasgow area.

Also in the 1960's Denny lost its local Cottage Hospital.