Herbertshire Brickworks

To the west of Denny.

Produced refractory bricks.

Anchor Brickworks

Situated in Stirling Street, - next to The Songbird - formally 'The Anchor Inn'.
Produced ordinary or common brick.
The chimney was dismantled 1940.


One of our members remembers that the old kilns were used in the early forties as air-raid shelters on the occasions when Clydebank was bombed. 

After the 1939-45 war we, as children played in the dangerous kilns prior to their demolition when the whole site including the bing was removed to make way for the Tygetshaugh Playingfields and Tennis Courts. 

The Tennis Courts only lasted a few years and were little used, so in turn were removed after vandalisation, to be replaced by the sheltered housing estate and finally Dunipace Primary School as it is today in 2012